Frequently Asked Questions
Where does AHF work?
AHF works throughout the Himalayan Range. In Nepal, you’ll find AHF projects throughout the country: from remotest far west Nepal, through the ancient kingdom of Mustang, with the Sherpas in the Solu Khumbu at the foot of Mt. Everest, and through the Kathmandu Valley down to the jungles in the Terai border with India. AHF also supports many Tibetan refugee communities in India.
How does AHF work?
AHF works by partnering with local NGOs and community groups to bring real change directly to the people in need. We know the territory and where to intervene to create the greatest impact for the least cost. We work with local partners, beacause they know what their communities need, and everything we do involves local commitment. AHF is headquartered in San Francisco and has a Nepal Country Office in Kathmandu to work directly with project partners.
How is my donation used?
AHF relies on contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations to do this important work in the Himalayas. You can support a specific AHF project or give a gift to be used where it is needed most. AHF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and all contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
How can I volunteer with one of AHF’s projects?
Because of the way AHF works, we are not able to place workers or volunteers with our programs in the Himalayas. Many of the communities in which AHF works are also vulnerable are not suited to foreign volunteers. Our project partners use local talent – teachers, doctors, nurses, builders, artisans – to implement AHF’s projects, which also helps by creating employment opportunities within the community. It has proven to be the most effective and efficient way to work.
I can’t make a contribution. How else can I help?
Over the years, AHF’s friends have helped our work in many creative ways. Here are some ideas:
- One of the easiest ways to have a lasting impact is including AHF in your will or retirment plans.
- Businesses, community organizations, and current donors have invited AHF to speak about our work to their friends and colleagues.
- School groups have created T-shirts (and other fun items) to sell as fundraisers for specific AHF projects or collected contributions after studying about the Himalayas and its people.
- Couples have suggested their guests give to AHF in honor of their special wedding day [awesome!], while others have asked friends to make a donation to AHF in leiu of birthday gifts.
- Climbers have motivated friends and family to give to AHF in honor of their challenging ascents.
- You can also spread awareness of AHF by becoming our friend on Facebook and following us on Instagram, joining our email list, and forwarding our messages to your friends.
- The sky’s the limit – If you have a cool idea, let us know!
Can I join AHF’s email or mailing list without making a donation?
Of course! Please use the sign-up box in footer of this page to join our email list. If you’d like to receive physical mail from us as well (we only send a few pieces a year), you can contact us at [email protected].
Does AHF have local events?
Each year, AHF holds one or two festive fundraising events, usually in the San Francisco Bay Area, to support our work in the Himalayas. In past years AHF has welcomed His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Richard Gere, Bill Clinton, Pico Iyer, Alex Honnold, Jimmy Chin, and many of our stellar project partners to speak at these events. Always a great time and a wonderful way to support AHF’s work. To find out about upcoming events, join our email list!
How do I volunteer for a local event?
AHF is lucky to have a dedicated team of local volunteers who come out each year to work at our events. While we may not have opportunities for you immediately, you are more than welcome to send us your name and we’ll put you on the list for when we need help with one of our future events.
AHF will never share, rent, or sell your personal information to anyone else, ever.
What is AHF’s EIN/Federal Tax ID number?
AHF’s EIN/Federal Tax ID number is 94-2951480
Does AHF have financial information I can review?
Absolutely. You can find AHF’s 990s, Annual Brochures, and Financial Statements in our Reports section.